The government of Québec announced financial assistance for self-isolating workers.
This program is intended for people who:
- have the virus;
- present symptoms of the virus;
- were in contact with a person infected by the virus;
- are returning from abroad.
AND who are not being compensated by:
- their employer;
- private insurance;
- government programs, including employment insurance from the federal government.
*This program covers workers whose employment is based on a visa or work permit, as well as some self-employed individuals.
*This program only applies to those 18 years of age and older.
The aid given is $573 per week for a period of 14 days.
The assistance may be extended to 28 days if necessary. The payment will be made 48 hours after applying.
How to apply for aid:
- Fill out the application form that will be available online as of March 19, 2020: Québec.ca/coronavirus;
- The funds will be sent by direct deposit or prepaid card so people can stay in isolation.
End of the financial aid:
- Once the financial aid has been paid in full;
- If the worker breaches one of their obligations.
If you have any questions, please contact LCA CPA LLP, the author of this post.